Have you ever noticed how hard it is to find an example of what we would call a "healthy family" in the Bible? It's a lot easier to find families with a lot of sin and a lot of pain than to find families with a lot of harmony. For example, here's just a sampling from Genesis:
- The first recorded husband and wife calamitously disobey God (Genesis 3).
- Their firstborn commits fratricide (Genesis 4:8).
- Sarah's grief over infertility moves her to give her servant, Hagar, to Abraham as a concubine to bear a surrogate child (Genesis 16). When it happens, Sarah abuses Hagar in jealous anger. Abraham is passive in the whole affair.
- Lot, reluctant to leave sexually perverse Sodom, his home, has to be dragged out by angels and then weeks later his daughters seduce him into drunken incest (Genesis 19).
- Isaac and Rebecca play favorites with their twin boys, whose sibling rivalry becomes one of the worst in history (Genesis 25).
- Esau has no discernment. He sells his birthright for soup (Genesis 25), grieves his parents by marrying Canaanite women (Genesis 26), and nurses a 20-year murderous grudge against his conniving younger brother.
- Jacob (said conniver) manipulates and deceives his brother out of his birthright (Genesis 25) and blessing (Genesis 27).