It's often been said, "Don't pray for patience, because you'll get trials. Don't ask for patience if you don't want tribulation." And that's true. We don't want tribulation. Who wants to be put through the fire? I don't, but I know that it's good my soul.
Looking at the Bible, I can't help but notice the many people who were broken before God used them. It's astounding to see just how many were brought down to their knees before God lifted them up.
- Joseph was thrown into a pit and sold into slavery by his brothers.
- Moses beat an Egyptian to death and hid the body in the sand. When Pharaoh heard what Moses had done, he tried to have him killed.
- Samson lost his strength. He was broken, humiliated, blind, and in bondage.
- God wrestled with Jacob and put his thigh out of joint before he called him, "Israel" (who prevails with God)
- Ruth lost her husband. She left behind her home, and her people.
- David was a murderer, and an adulterer. He lost his infant son.
- Peter denied Christ three times on the night of His death.
- The disciples fell asleep when the Lord needed them most.
- Paul was stricken with blindness for three days before his conversion.